Quicken is an advanced finance management software designed to help users keep a track of their personal finances. Apart from its numerous features, Quicken is extremely popular because of its compatibility. The software can be used with Windows as well as Mac operating systems. Because Windows and Mac use different coding for their respective operating systems there are different versions of Quicken available for Mac and for Windows. If you are planning on switching device from Windows to Mac then you can still use your Quicken account on Mac. But first, there are a few changes you need to make. This article will give you a brief overview of how to convert your Quicken files so that you can use them on Mac. You can call the Quicken support number for a more comprehensive description of the conversion process.
Exporting your files from Quicken Windows
Follow the steps given below to prepare to export your files:
- Open Quicken and go to the ‘Tool’ section.
- Go to the accounts list and click on ‘Option’ to view hidden accounts.
- Click on the ‘Manage account’ option and select ‘Hide in Quicken’.
- You will have to rename the files so that all the file names include uppercase letters. You can do this through the ‘Edit’ option.
- Search for the file you want to export, especially all the files with financial data, and click “Accept all”.
- Go to the file menu and “export” selected files using the “QIF” format.
- Open the folder where you want to save the files, type in the file name “Account.qif” and press ‘Ok’.
- Search for the option “Quicken Account to Export from” and select which account you want to transfer.
- Enter an appropriate date range on which you want to export the files.
- Select the group of files you want to export. For example, if you want to export the Accounts file, choose “Accounts”. You can do the same for securities and transactions as well.
- Open the formatted CD drive using the FAT file format as the format is accessible on Windows as well as Mac.
- Go to the location where you saved the files and burn them on a CD.
Importing your files for Quicken Mac
Once you have the files on a CD you can follow the steps given below to import the files on to your Mac device:
- Open Quicken on your Mac device and go to the “File” menu.
- Select “New Quicken File” and click “Ok”.
- Enter the required information in the Create Data File dialogue box and click ‘Create’.
- Insert the CD you burned earlier into your disk drive.
- Go to the File menu. Under the import options select “From QIF”.
- Suppose you want to import the accounts files then go to the “Accounts” section on your CD drive and select Open. You can follow the same process for the other categories as well.
The steps mentioned above may vary based on which version of Windows or Mac you are using. If for any reason you are unable to convert the required files you can call the Quicken technical support number and speak to a trained professional about how to troubleshoot the issue.